We met with our client to discuss details about the room. The client was Mr. Whitten. Mr Sullivan also was there for our discusson. There is storage rooms in the room and we were told that we need to preserve access to these rooms. This meant we could not add any furniture there that would interfere with the storage rooms. We could also not have any furniture near the stairs leading towards the library. This is for fire safety. The client told us that he wanted the room to be sterile and welcoming. He also wanted the room to have good quality furniture but not be comfortable. He does not want to treat the room as a lounge for students. He does not want vending machines. TV's could be attached to the wall but they have to be on mute and students can not have access to the remotes. He envisions that we implement square tables and chairs, not fixed, and not attached to each other. Furniture should be movable to make more space for the room. They also wanted no pictures of the BHS devil or anything that says BHS on it in the space.
When we met with the client we presented some good ideas to him. We presented on how we wanted the library to be a welcoming place and contrast from the orange lockers in the dull hallway. Below is an example of a welcoming space. We would like to use this example and connect it to our design.
We told the client we wished to have yellow, blue, red, and light blue on the walls of our room. These colors are more lively and welcoming which is why we choose them. In our budget, we presented that we should have 4 tables which would cost about $1,000, 2 counters at $500, 30 chairs at $2,000. We compared the prices to the client of an Apple TV which was $100 and TV which would range between $1,200 to $1,700. The mountain brackets and electrical wiring is another thing we presented to the client which both were $150. We told the client that the total would be $6,100 if we wanted to implement everything.
To meet our clients needs we ordered furniture that was not comfortable and brainstormed placement of furniture away from the storage room and stairs. To make the room sterile and more welcoming like Mr. Whitten said we added the blue, light blue, yellow, and red. We also brainstormed that we should add stripes to make it more welcoming and lively.
The room was quite big with an attached room to the bigger room. The room could be quite dark at places so we added colors like blue, yellow, and red to lighten up the space. Architecturally the ceilings were low so it felt that we were boxed in. By adding color this eliminates this since color brightens the room. We realized out furniture can not be too big or there would not be enough room.
We wanted to make the back wall of the room blue in our design decision. This was because the red door went together with the blue. The yellow would be on the long left wall of room to brighten the room up. We thought of making stripes on the wall to make the wall looking more interesting and welcoming. The right back wall is yellow and the right front wall is blue. On the right front wall we decided to mount a picture of strips of a map. We thought black would be good for the frame. Black would give the room that fresh look and it would not get as dirty. The smaller room on the left off to the side of the bigger room would be blue. We decided that the back wall would have two pictures. In these pictures they would contain maps. The maps were then painted over with pink to make the picture look less dull. The frames for these pictures are also black.
Our guest artist was our teacher's grandmother. I was not there when she visited the space although.
We made several changes to the space. The back wall was originally was going to be yellow, blue, and red stripes but halfway through the process of painting we did not think it looked pleasing. We thought it looked messy. We painted the whole thing over with blue paint. We recognized that the pictures on the back wall were too high. We changed it by putting them lower. Things sticking out of wall were annoyances. We scratched some of them off to make the walls look clean.
Specifically to paint the large walls we used rollers other than paint brushes to save time and make the painting more efficient. On the edges of the walls we painted using smaller paint brushes to make a neat finish. To make sure we did not make a mess on the bottom of the wall we placed tape along the bottom of the wall. To make the stripes on the left wall we first used rulers to make straight lines pointing out where each stripe would be placed. We then placed tape along the lines so when we went to paint the stripes and peel the tape off the stripes would be straight. We used orange, yellow, and blue for the stripes.
The existing space was white walls. We came to realize that we needed to add life to the room. We also knew we did not want the room to have a lot orange since that was the colors of the lockers. We knew that bright colors like blue, yellow, and red would be good to take away the existing white walls. The white walls were not very welcoming and it felt like you were in jail. The colors took away that feeling.
Overall, I am happy with how the room turned out. I think the students walking by in the halls looking at the room will get a sense of happiness now that there is finally color. I think the space will be very functional. The space will help people concentrate more now that they are not sitting in a dull room. The room will make students want to learn and be more excited. The furniture will play a big part with the room. Movable items will make more space for students to move around and for teachers to set up. The only thing I wished we added was more stripes and color. The more variety of colors and patterns I feel makes the space more appealing.